Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damn...so the Pistons quit on Allen Iverson?...

+6
Paul Bearer (Vikings 3-0)
Sickology101
WhatIsReallyReal?
ROFL_GUY
Hate Me
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
10 posters

Go down

Damn...so the Pistons quit on Allen Iverson?... Empty Damn...so the Pistons quit on Allen Iverson?...

Post by StoneCold (F.P.C.) 2009-10-01, 5:20 pm

Allen Iverson calls his one season in Detroit the "worst year of my career" and claims team officials, and head coach Michael Curry, "lied" to him about coming off the bench instead of starting.

"They told me, straight up, 'Allen we would never disrespect you or your career like that' by making me come off the bench," Iverson said in an interview with ESPN.com Page 2 columnist Scoop Jackson. "That's what they told me to my face. And after that, I never thought about it again. I just went back to playing. Then, they came to me saying that they felt it would be in the 'best interest of the team' if I came off of the bench behind Rip [Richard Hamilton].

"... After that, they told me that if I didn't come off the bench -- the team was going to lie down [not play] on me.

"... When he told me that, that's when I felt that this was the worst career move I'd ever made and it was the worst year of my career."

Iverson said that when he was traded from Denver to Detroit on Nov. 3, 2008, he was happy. "I talked to Mo [his uncle/manager Gary Moore]. We both felt like it was going to be good situation.

The situation deteriorated when Iverson said he heard whispers that the team wanted him to come off the bench. He had started 824 of 829 career games before last season.

"If you are a head coach and you feel strongly about this, what would make you think that I want to be around these guys?" Iverson told Jackson. "Especially if you are telling me that they don't want to be around me like that?"

Iverson continued: "I'd never been on a team where a coach told me the guys gave up on me. You know what I mean? And I kept this under wraps the whole time ... because I didn't want to bad mouth any of those guys.

"... I don't have [anything] bad to say about the organization, especially Joe [Dumars]. I never had a problem with Joe. He's a stand-up person that I have love for and respect. He was not part of any of the problems I had in Detroit.

"But for [the coach] to tell me these things and for him to go back on his word like that, it was the hardest and the roughest season I've ever had."

Iverson missed 16 games near the end of the season with a back injury, then came back for three games and was used off the bench by Curry. He missed the final seven games and the Pistons' playoff series with Cleveland.

Curry was fired by the Pistons on July 1 after one season.

The Pistons, reached by ESPN.com, declined comment. Curry could not be reached for comment.

Iverson signed a one-year, $3.1 million deal with Memphis in September. Memphis opens the season at home Oct. 28 against Detroit.

In the interview, Iverson told Jackson that he's in a "lose-lose" situation in Memphis if the Grizzlies don't win, but that he's not going to "allow that to happen."

"I gotta win games," he said. "Because if we lose games and I score a lot, they going to say I'm scorin' too much. If we lose games and I don't score a lot, they gonna say I'm not scoring enough. It's a lose-lose, unless we win. So all I can do is huddle up with these guys and try to win basketball games."

Iverson said he expects Memphis, which won 24 games last year and had the league's fifth-worst record, to be a playoff contender.

"I'm not going to be content and happy with [just making the playoffs]," he said. "And I want them to know that. Yeah, we [can] get into the playoffs -- God-forbid somebody knocks us out -- then yeah it'll be a successful season for them , but not for me.

"I'm going to let guys know that I'm not here to just go to the playoffs. I believe in these dudes here. All I want them to do is trust me and trust that I'll do everything the right way and lead them to where we need to be."

He also said he has nothing to prove -- to the media or to fans who have criticized him.

"There's nothing that sells good about Allen Iverson if it's something positive about Allen Iverson," he said with a laugh. "You know, you don't want to hear about how much money I donate to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America or to AIDS Awareness or to give out scholarships, you don't want to hear about that.

"So when I said, 'it's personal,' I meant it's not personal to me as far as people saying what they've been saying about me, about me losing a step and this that and a third. It's personal on a level to where I can have fun again playing basketball. Not worry about, 'Oh he should start or he shouldn't start,' and all of that nonsense. I'm talking about going to practice -- yeah, I said practice -- and have fun and come out of practice happy, go to games happy, leave the arena win or lose happy.

"Man, again, I'm 34-years old, I don't want to be going to do what I love to do and it's hurting me. Like every time I show up to games I got an attitude all the time. I don't want that. So when I said 'it's personal,' I mean as far as me wanting to have fun again and have that love for the game all over again."
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
I Aint Shit
I Aint Shit

Back to top Go down

Damn...so the Pistons quit on Allen Iverson?... Empty Re: Damn...so the Pistons quit on Allen Iverson?...

Post by Hate Me 2009-10-01, 5:24 pm

Let's face it he got benched cause he wasn't playing good an Hamilton was playing better an deserved to be the starter....
Hate Me
Hate Me
Admin

Back to top Go down

Damn...so the Pistons quit on Allen Iverson?... Empty Re: Damn...so the Pistons quit on Allen Iverson?...

Post by ROFL_GUY 2009-10-01, 6:26 pm

iverson KILLS teams chemistry..

look at denver from when they had him to when they traded him for billups

indivisually AI is a better player than BILLUPS but this aint AND-1..
ROFL_GUY
ROFL_GUY
A Lil Somethin Somethin
A Lil Somethin Somethin

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 7:04 pm

Chitown312{FPC} wrote:Let's face it he got benched cause he wasn't playing good an Hamilton was playing better an deserved to be the starter....

not only that....but AI didn't fit the system; he doesn't truly fit any system organized around team play. think it was a coincidence that Denver vastly improved when he left and Chauncy came to town?....

AI is an all-time great. a legend. but he's done as a premier player, and done as an effective player altogether unless he can be mature and accept a lesser role
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sickology101 2009-10-01, 8:11 pm

Hopefully he doesn't bring that I don't want to play unless i'm starting attitiude to Memphis....
Sickology101
Sickology101

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Bearer (Vikings 3-0) 2009-10-01, 8:12 pm

Yea, AI going to Detroit was doomed from the start. There's so many reasons why that failed:

AI not accepting the role fully
Rip Hamilton catching feelings over the trade
Stuckey not being ready to take over the team
Micheal Curry being incompetent
Injuries

That whole situation should've never happened in the first place

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 8:15 pm

Paul Bearer (Vikings 3-0) wrote:Yea, AI going to Detroit was doomed from the start. There's so many reasons why that failed:

Injuries

number 3 on that list surprised the shit outta me.....i didn't fully expect him to be THE leader, but a more than capable floor general...
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Bearer (Vikings 3-0) 2009-10-01, 9:49 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:
Paul Bearer (Vikings 3-0) wrote:Yea, AI going to Detroit was doomed from the start. There's so many reasons why that failed:

Injuries

number 3 on that list surprised the shit outta me.....i didn't fully expect him to be THE leader, but a more than capable floor general...

Yea I mean you could tell watching the Pistons that Stuckey was not ready for that role that Chauncey played. That threw everything off too, I think Stuckey should've been benched

Back to top Go down

Post by Clayton Bigsby 2009-10-01, 9:52 pm

Paul Bearer (Vikings 3-0) wrote:
WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:

Injuries

Yea I mean you could tell watching the Pistons that Stuckey was not ready for that role that Chauncey played. That threw everything off too, I think Stuckey should've been benched

It really wasn't realistic for the pistons to think stuckey could just step in for billups that quickly. It took billups years to find himself and learn how to quarterback a team, so how could a 2nd yr nigga step in and handle that responsibility. Plus, Stuckey isn't a traditional poni he's a scoring point.
Clayton Bigsby
Clayton Bigsby
CAPO STATUS
CAPO STATUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Bearer (Vikings 3-0) 2009-10-01, 10:23 pm

Clayton Bigsby wrote:
WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:

Injuries

It really wasn't realistic for the pistons to think stuckey could just step in for billups that quickly. It took billups years to find himself and learn how to quarterback a team, so how could a 2nd yr nigga step in and handle that responsibility. Plus, Stuckey isn't a traditional poni he's a scoring point.

Exactly, they should've let AI run the point and put Rip at the 2 guard and let Stuckey be the 6th man. That would've worked a lot better

Back to top Go down

Post by Giraffe Ribs N Collards 2009-10-01, 10:49 pm

Clayton Bigsby wrote:
WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:

Injuries

I stare at your avi everytime I see it lmao...Ali da goat...

Anyways, stop trashing my mans Iverson. He coming back with a vengeance this year. If he messes up, he needs to retire.

Another thing, I always hated this nigga though for not using his skills correctly. Does he not understand that he couldve been the prototypical point guard of this generation? He had the speed, agility, quickness, explosiveness and court vision to excel at the point guard spot. I think he had the wrong people around him.
Giraffe Ribs N Collards
Giraffe Ribs N Collards
I Aint Shit
I Aint Shit

Back to top Go down

Post by MyfriendscallmeMrParker 2009-10-01, 10:49 pm

but they knew that's the kind of player he was...that's what they asked him to do, to come in and be Allen Iverson, and then they were surprised when it didn't pan out...I think AI quit, and for a player of his heart i was disappointed by that...but i also think they quit on him as well and tried to blame all their problems on him. Let's be honest it this was a 2nd or third year started and they didn't know who he was and they asked him to come in and score it's on thing...but everyone knows AI...who he is...what he does...what did they expect?
MyfriendscallmeMrParker
MyfriendscallmeMrParker
CAPO STATUS
CAPO STATUS

Back to top Go down

Post by One Angry Black Man 2009-10-01, 10:53 pm

AI is one of my fav players in the league but he's been getting a bad rap these last few years. Dude leaves everything out on the floor every game, season after season and yet people still dont seem to respect what he does. Yall acting like he's Marbury or something. You never hear his teammates complain about him messing up the chemistry, just the media. In Philly he was the man but management ran the team into the ground. Not AI. In Denver, Karl is incompetent and the GM should've never brought him because he did not fit the roster. It's not his fault they brought one of the best scorers in league history on to a team and expected him to be a true pg. Same thing with Detroit. That trade made no sense because AI and Billups bring two dif things to the game. If they kept billups and packaged rip with somebody else, I guarantee everybody would be singing a diff tune. I wish the best for AI and I think he's going to surprise alot of people this year with the way he's going to turn memphis around.
One Angry Black Man
One Angry Black Man
I Aint Shit
I Aint Shit

Back to top Go down

Post by One Angry Black Man 2009-10-01, 10:57 pm

Giraffe Ribs N Collards wrote:

I stare at your avi everytime I see it lmao...Ali da goat...

Anyways, stop trashing my mans Iverson. He coming back with a vengeance this year. If he messes up, he needs to retire.

Another thing, I always hated this nigga though for not using his skills correctly. Does he not understand that he couldve been the prototypical point guard of this generation? He had the speed, agility, quickness, explosiveness and court vision to excel at the point guard spot. I think he had the wrong people around him.

He's 5'9 and gets to the rack like he's a foot taller. He's the prototypical scoring guard who needs another slasher on the floor with him so he can set them up and a couple shooters so he can drive and kick. AI on the pick and roll is good money but he's not the guy you want running set plays all the time. That's just not his thing.
One Angry Black Man
One Angry Black Man
I Aint Shit
I Aint Shit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down