Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**Spin-off*** Rank the elements of MCing based on importance....

+6
lakersandravens
illuminati
rep4qc
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
WavinGunz@Nunz
WhatIsReallyReal?
10 posters

Go down

**Spin-off*** Rank the elements of MCing based on importance.... Empty **Spin-off*** Rank the elements of MCing based on importance....

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 2:09 pm

Yeah, this has been done before, but not here i don't think. Plus, its something that has come up in other threads the past few days, and I know that it "depends," but everything "depends," so try to be specific somewhat...Your ranking can be based off of "commercial appeal/success" or "underground respect" or a combination of the two....either way....state what is guiding your selection...

The elements, in no order (feel free to add on if i missed something):

1. Flow
2. Mic presence/charisma
3. Delivery (maybe a combination of 1 and 2, maybe not...)
4. Content
5. Lyrical ability
6. Quality/Quantity (this could be its own thread perhaps, but I also think its important when ranking an MC as well as how "good" an MC is perceived as being...people have a short memory sometimes...I'm looking at you Rakim)
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

**Spin-off*** Rank the elements of MCing based on importance.... Empty Re: **Spin-off*** Rank the elements of MCing based on importance....

Post by WavinGunz@Nunz 2009-10-01, 2:13 pm

1. originality
2. content
3. lyrics
4. flow
5. mic presence/ delivery
WavinGunz@Nunz
WavinGunz@Nunz

Back to top Go down

**Spin-off*** Rank the elements of MCing based on importance.... Empty Re: **Spin-off*** Rank the elements of MCing based on importance....

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 2:18 pm

WavinGunz@Nunz wrote:1. originality
2. content
3. lyrics
4. flow
5. mic presence/ delivery

I'm inclined to agree with this exact ranking but i bet most people will have mic presence a higher...
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneCold (F.P.C.) 2009-10-01, 2:19 pm

imo...

mic presence/charisma is 1- you gotta be able to feel the emotion in the music

flow is 2- id also say flow=delivery so theyre both 2...you cant be all over the place on the beat (ie E-40, i cant stand him)

content is 3- and also a reason why i cant stand alot of rappers that alot of yall like (jay-z, gucci, oj da juiceman) i have to be able to somewhat relate to it or it has to be funny

lyrical ability is 4- you dont have to use a bunch of big words to get your message across so i dont value this as much (i have 2pac as my GOAT) but things like multi's do come into play

quality/quantity is 5- i dont think u have to put out a whole bunch of music, if ur good ur good, and sometimes puttin out too much may work against you (wayne)- i mean u have to put out quality, but alot of people have guys in their top 5 that have put out some garbage too
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
I Aint Shit
I Aint Shit

Back to top Go down

Post by rep4qc 2009-10-01, 2:22 pm

1. Flow
2. Mic presence/charisma
4. Content
5. Lyrical ability
6. Quality/Quantity

1. Content
2. Quality/Quantity
3. Delivery
4. Mic Presence
5. Flow
6. Lyrical Ability
rep4qc
rep4qc

Back to top Go down

Post by rep4qc 2009-10-01, 2:23 pm

*fixed
1. Content
2. Quality/Quantity
3. Delivery
4. Mic Presence
5. Flow
6. Lyrical Ability[/quote]
rep4qc
rep4qc

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneCold (F.P.C.) 2009-10-01, 2:24 pm

rep4qc wrote:*fixed
1. Content
2. Quality/Quantity
3. Delivery
4. Mic Presence
5. Flow
6. Lyrical Ability
[/quote]

u know you can just edit your original post right?
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
I Aint Shit
I Aint Shit

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 2:26 pm

StoneCold (F.P.C.) wrote:imo...

flow is 2- id also say flow=delivery so theyre both 2...you cant be all over the place on the beat (ie E-40, i cant stand him)

content is 3- and also a reason why i cant stand alot of rappers that alot of yall like (jay-z, gucci, oj da juiceman) i have to be able to somewhat relate to it or it has to be funny

lyrical ability is 4- you dont have to use a bunch of big words to get your message across so i dont value this as much (i have 2pac as my GOAT) but things like multi's do come into play

quality/quantity is 5- i dont think u have to put out a whole bunch of music, if ur good ur good, and sometimes puttin out too much may work against you (wayne)- i mean u have to put out quality, but alot of people have guys in their top 5 that have put out some garbage too

good post...

one thing i'd say though, in this is just a side note kinda....and maybe worth of its own thread....but I put "lyrics" as a category because its the most general term, and things like multis, wordplay, metaphors, etc are like sub-categories of lyrics.....

also, is flow and delivery the same? idk.....what other people think....i think of flow as how you ride the beat and delivery as how you deliver your lyrics and your flow....i.e. sound of your voice....so like with Eminem, he can use the same flow on a song, but switch up his delivery with the various accents everyone loves so much.....
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rep4qc 2009-10-01, 2:27 pm

StoneCold (F.P.C.) wrote:
rep4qc wrote:*fixed
1. Content
2. Quality/Quantity
3. Delivery
4. Mic Presence
5. Flow
6. Lyrical Ability

u know you can just edit your original post right?[/quote]
nahh, i ain kno u culd do that. Im use to not bein able to ova at tha reason
rep4qc
rep4qc

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneCold (F.P.C.) 2009-10-01, 2:28 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:

good post...

one thing i'd say though, in this is just a side note kinda....and maybe worth of its own thread....but I put "lyrics" as a category because its the most general term, and things like multis, wordplay, metaphors, etc are like sub-categories of lyrics.....

also, is flow and delivery the same? idk.....what other people think....i think of flow as how you ride the beat and delivery as how you deliver your lyrics and your flow....i.e. sound of your voice....so like with Eminem, he can use the same flow on a song, but switch up his delivery with the various accents everyone loves so much.....

aight i didnt think of it like that...so then delivery would = mic presence in essence?

*edit*
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
I Aint Shit
I Aint Shit

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 2:31 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:

good post...

aight i didnt think of it like that...so then flow would = mic presence in essence?

good question....mic presence is tough to pin down i think....its like an accumulation of things....for instance I think Mic presence can include flow and delivery, but it can also encapsulate other things, like when an artist talks on a record.....Like Pac....he talked on his tracks alot, such as that one drunken freestyle he did, and hit em up, and Krazy...he wasn't even rhyming but he was still adressing the audience or the topic he was discussing, which can make an MC more appealing or accessible....T.I. does this, too, to an extent......Another example of talking on record constituting mic presence imo, would be Kanye on Last Call....where he talks on the track for like 8 minutes and reveals personal experiences, etc......
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by illuminati 2009-10-01, 2:32 pm

WavinGunz@Nunz wrote:1. originality
2. lyrics
3. content
4. flow - as long as it's smooth
5. mic presence/ delivery - just dont stutter or anything
illuminati
illuminati

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneCold (F.P.C.) 2009-10-01, 2:34 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:
WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:

good post...

aight i didnt think of it like that...so then flow would = mic presence in essence?

good question....mic presence is tough to pin down i think....its like an accumulation of things....for instance I think Mic presence can include flow and delivery, but it can also encapsulate other things, like when an artist talks on a record.....Like Pac....he talked on his tracks alot, such as that one drunken freestyle he did, and hit em up, and Krazy...he wasn't even rhyming but he was still adressing the audience or the topic he was discussing, which can make an MC more appealing or accessible....T.I. does this, too, to an extent......Another example of talking on record constituting mic presence imo, would be Kanye on Last Call....where he talks on the track for like 8 minutes and reveals personal experiences, etc......

lol or 50...IMO lately hes been at his best when hes just shit talkin on the tracks as opposed to actually rapping

i see what u mean tho
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
StoneCold (F.P.C.)
I Aint Shit
I Aint Shit

Back to top Go down

Post by lakersandravens 2009-10-01, 2:36 pm

1. lyrics/Content- I need to relate to your music or you have to have a purpose in your music....not just rambling about money cars clothes hoes and how successful you are

2.Flow/Delivery/Mic Presence-i consider these the same....you cant just get on a track and sound like you talking to me....be a master of ceremonies

3.Originality- Do your own thing

4.quality/quantity- if you do the first 3 right than you will have quality....quantity doesnt really matter just be consistent
lakersandravens
lakersandravens
BAUCE
BAUCE

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 2:46 pm

I wonder if "a unique perspective" wouldn't be a better way of describing originality....idk

i think "perspective" is something that is really important but hardly anyone talks about it....the way a person sees the world, or sees themselves, or sees themselves relative to people and world around them, is what is really at the root of terms like "originality" and "content"......at least for the great MCs
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CutThroatBalla 2009-10-01, 2:48 pm

1. Quality
2. Lyrical ability
3. Content
4. Flow
5. Delivery
6. Mic Presence
CutThroatBalla
CutThroatBalla

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 2:51 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:I wonder if "a unique perspective" wouldn't be a better way of describing originality....idk

i think "perspective" is something that is really important but hardly anyone talks about it....the way a person sees the world, or sees themselves, or sees themselves relative to people and world around them, is what is really at the root of terms like "originality" and "content"......at least for the great MCs

cutthroat what think about this^^^^^^^^^
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChapterBlack 2009-10-01, 3:22 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:Yeah, this has been done before, but not here i don't think. Plus, its something that has come up in other threads the past few days, and I know that it "depends," but everything "depends," so try to be specific somewhat...Your ranking can be based off of "commercial appeal/success" or "underground respect" or a combination of the two....either way....state what is guiding your selection...

1. Flow
2. Mic presence/charisma
4. Content
5. Lyrical ability
6. Quality/Quantity (this could be its own thread perhaps, but I also think its important when ranking an MC as well as how "good" an MC is perceived as being...people have a short memory sometimes...I'm looking at you Rakim)

Yeah, I did this on the Reason, but not as ranking, only as what people like the most. Anyways, here's my list:

1. Flow
2. Lyrical ability (to expound on it, I see it as technical skills:multis, wit, wordplay, rhetorical/stylistic devices and the like, in a way flow falls in this category as well)
3. Content
4. Charisma

Quantity/Quality should be separate since this has to do more with work ethic and less with rapping itself.

As you can see from my list, I have a thing for the art of rapping. I put less emphasis on the content than on the skill because there's hardly any songs that I feel I could relate to (just quotables), and I take a liking to artists who've mastered rhetoric.
ChapterBlack
ChapterBlack
BAUCE
BAUCE

Back to top Go down

Post by *locksmith* 2009-10-01, 3:26 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:Yeah, this has been done before, but not here i don't think. Plus, its something that has come up in other threads the past few days, and I know that it "depends," but everything "depends," so try to be specific somewhat...Your ranking can be based off of "commercial appeal/success" or "underground respect" or a combination of the two....either way....state what is guiding your selection...

1. Flow
2. Mic presence/charisma
4. Content
5. Lyrical ability

When you mean mic presence , do you mean emotion and persona ?
*locksmith*
*locksmith*

Back to top Go down

Post by Clayton Bigsby 2009-10-01, 3:29 pm

c/s
Clayton Bigsby
Clayton Bigsby
CAPO STATUS
CAPO STATUS

Back to top Go down

Post by CutThroatBalla 2009-10-01, 3:30 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:
WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:I wonder if "a unique perspective" wouldn't be a better way of describing originality....idk

cutthroat what think about this^^^^^^^^^

I think that is generally what originality comes down to. We all see things differently, we all have had different life experiences that shape our perspective of the world. When your rapping about your enviorment, you giving your perspective....I also think originality has to do with how you present your perspective.
CutThroatBalla
CutThroatBalla

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-01, 5:46 pm

*locksmith* wrote:

1. Flow
2. Mic presence/charisma
4. Content
5. Lyrical ability

i kinda already described what i meant by that in one of my earlier posts....best way i could describe it would be someone who, for whatever reason, makes you want to keep listening to their music....i know that is very vague, but it's intentionally vague because mic presence could be a combination of various things.....idk....i might be talking out of my ass here, but certain artists have a way of engaging with the listener one way or another.....that's what i mean....plus, kinda like live shows.....stage presence.....some performers just perform their music at shows, while other performers have a stronger stage presence....its kinda that "it" factor people throw around....
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by *locksmith* 2009-10-01, 6:29 pm

WhatIsReallyReal? wrote:
*locksmith* wrote:

1. Flow
2. Mic presence/charisma
4. Content
5. Lyrical ability

i kinda already described what i meant by that in one of my earlier posts....best way i could describe it would be someone who, for whatever reason, makes you want to keep listening to their music....i know that is very vague, but it's intentionally vague because mic presence could be a combination of various things.....idk....i might be talking out of my ass here, but certain artists have a way of engaging with the listener one way or another.....that's what i mean....plus, kinda like live shows.....stage presence.....some performers just perform their music at shows, while other performers have a stronger stage presence....its kinda that "it" factor people throw around....

I sort of agree with you . Cause I was going to tell you that you should have added the emotion and persona in that list . I just wanted to make sure how you going to define the "mic-presence" before I reply to you . I think the emotion and persona is important when comes to the art of rapping .
*locksmith*
*locksmith*

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatIsReallyReal? 2009-10-05, 1:48 am

up
WhatIsReallyReal?
WhatIsReallyReal?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down